Friday, May 2, 2008

N is for Nature.

This post would also be appropriately named, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. But I’m locked into this damn alphabet thing and determined to see it to the end. So I’m going with “N is for Nature”.

Look here…
This is the trail I walk my daughter to school on. We often see wildlife and no matter how often we see it, we always get excited. The coolest thing we ever saw was a fox…with dinner (squirrel? rabbit?) hanging from it’s mouth. It was running straight towards us, then crossed the street 10 yards before it ran between our legs. We just stopped and starred at it. Sometimes we see snakes, ducks, squirrels, rollie pollies, worms (especially after a good rain), beetles, grasshoppers, and always lots of birds.

Our favorite thing to spot is these…
I know the picture sucks. It was 8PM and I was on my way home from the HOA meeting last night. There were cars behind me, so I had to shoot fast. You should be able to see three deer, but there were 8 of them on the side of the road last night. There are a couple pretty healthy herds that live in Parker. The most we’ve ever counted in one gathering is 23. I have lived in my house for 6 years and I still get SO excited when I see these deer. I just love them!

As for the bad and the ugly…THIS, my friends, is what a couple of squirrels will do to your home, if left unattended:
Those bastards must die. Not really—we’re going to use live traps and sink ‘em in the river…I mean feed ‘em to the coyotes…I mean SET THEM FREE!! …in the woods. Set them free in the woods, WAY out in the country where they have big squirrel cities and all the nuts they ever wanted. Gourmet nuts, even. And they have big squirrel carnivals and parties every Saturday night. It’s a great place…these little rascals are gonna love it!

5 comments:

Olga said...

ummm suuuure you are!!! Don't worry- I'll keep your nasty little unPC secret!!!

Anonymous said...

Kill them!! rodents are useless pest.
P.S.
I have a new email address
jmccarthy at prusd.com
stay in touch

Anonymous said...

You know how you feel about the squirrels? That's how we feel about deer around here! Unless you heavily fence your garden (and sometimes even then) they eat anything and everything (even things the books say they won't). They are the biggest urban pest on Vancouver Island. Pretty out in the bush, but not in my front yard.

5elementknitr said...

I remember about a week after we moved in to the neighborhood (same one as me7of11 for those who don't know), we saw a deer bounding down the street in our development! The boys and I get just as excited as you do every time!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recent blog comments. That's what I love about this www -- the global conversations.