Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bitter Sweet

I complained a few days ago that my refrigerator is on the skids. I’m doing the best I can to jerry rig the damn thing into submission. We’ve adjusted the shelves and rearranged the food and are just taking it all with a grain of salt. At least we have one, right?

I didn’t mention my dishwasher. My husband replaced the floors in our kitchen this summer and noticed that our dishwasher was leaking. The floor under the dishwasher was rotted. He replaced the floor and stuck the lid from a tub of ice cream under the dishwasher to catch the water. We have to empty the lid every couple of washes.

Last night we had chicken enchiladas for dinner. My recipe requires that I cook all the food in a skillet, assemble it, then stick it in the oven to melt the cheese. After 30 minutes of preheating, it was only 250 degrees. The damn thing broke! My oven BROKE! I just used the damn thing 12 hours earlier to bake the egg dish for the teachers. The stupid coil thing in the bottom of the oven literally broke in half. I don't know why I'm surprised. The oven is 20 years old.

As exciting as this moment should be, I have lump in my gut. Every time we get to a point where we have some extra cash to start socking away for vacation, some stupid shit goes wrong and we’re back where we started. Son-of-a-bitch, will you give a girl a break?!?!

Maybe a batch of brownies in my new range will make me feel better—with a glass of cold (but not frozen) milk out of my new refrigerator. If that doesn’t work, I’ll load all the dirty dishes into the new dishwasher and go buy some yarn.

2 comments:

5elementknitr said...

If you'll share your brownies, I'll share my yarn!

Olga said...

Oh gosh, I feel so bad for you! My dryer and vacuumn were acting like they were going to bite it but the ol'hubby managed to keep them going a little while longer. Last year our fridge was going and he replaced the coils in the back, I think it was about 60.00 all told to get it going again. Good luck!