Friday, September 12, 2008

Ouch!

My daughter fell out of bed Wednesday night. She sleeps in a regular twin bed, so it wasn't that bad of a fall...not like falling out of the top bunk of a triple bunk bed (and I would know). Thursday morning, we told her what happened and she had no recollection of it at all. But we had proof... OUCH!! That had to hurt. How can she not remember it?

It started raining about 7:30 last night and it hasn't stopped. It's the really nice, soft rain that makes you want to stay up all night and listen. Today is very gray and wet. It's the kind of day that makes me want to stay in bed with a book. I just (last night) finished Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel of the Exodus by Rebecca Kohn. I don't think I liked it. Ms. Kohn made Yehveh (God) a very angry and unforgiving God. Moses was not "blessed", but rather punished by being chosen, almost to the point where one might consider it torture. It is unfortunate that she made Him so aweful, but the real story was about the relationship between Moses' sister (Miryam) and his wife (Tzipporah). That aspect of the story was really very lovely.

Up next, Mirror Mirror by Gregory Maguire. I've read several of Gregory Maguire's books: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is the story of Cinderella as told by one of the wicked stepsisters and Wicked is the story of the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz. (I also read Son of a Witch, but that one just confused me.) Mirror Mirror is, of course, the story of Snow White. I'm excited to get started on the book. Gregory Maguire is, in my opinion, a brilliant author.

5 comments:

5elementknitr said...

Love Maguire!

Arnica cream is really good for getting rid of bruises faster.

Unknown said...

Gregory Maguire has such cool perspective. Very interesting reads!

Ouch! I hope she put some ice on that bruise!

Olga said...

I didn't care for the wicked witch books- so blah blah blah to me. i did like the stepsister one and the mirror mirror one was strange. Did you see the movies they made for TV of these?

Anonymous said...

Glad my kid isn't the only one! More than once he's tumbled out if he is on the bottom bunk.

I can relate as well - I often have random bruises that I can't remember getting. I'm a total clutz!

5elementknitr said...

I'm tagging you with a meme!

How's the Snow White book going?