Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Parenting 101

My daughter has not been feeling well (she has a cold). When she isn't happy, she makes DAMN sure everyone around her is as unhappy as she is. I swear, it was about the longest weekend of my life. She gave me a hard time from the minute she woke up Saturday morning, to the minute she fell asleep Sunday night.

I finally got her into the bath tub at 7:30 Sunday night. This is good news for me because bath time means we are only 3 steps away from bed time. She wasn't even in the tub for 5 minutes before the door bell rings. My daughter hears the door bell and yells from the tub, "WHO IS IT?" I told her, "Veronica and Devon."

My daughter starts to scream and cry, "I WANTED TO PLAY WITH THEM!!" Never mind that she's been playing with them since 11AM. Never mind Devon JUST left our house not 20 minutes earlier. My child starts thrashing and screaming and carrying on. I had to pull her out of the tub because #1, she was flooding my bathroom, #2, she's going to drown, and #3, it was Sunday night and I had had ENOUGH!

I wish I had video taped it. As angry as I was with her, I can't help but see the humor in it (NOW--after the fact). You know how slippery kids are when they're wet, right? My daughter weighs 75 pounds and she did NOT want to get out of the tub ('cause she KNEW she was in trouble). It was like wrestling a 300-pound tuna out of the tub and up two flights of stairs. Consider too that the bathroom floor is wet and I am barefoot. Now just close your eyes and use your imagination.

Uh huh...That little confrontation damn-near killed me.

Lesson learned: Next time, just drain the tub.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, been there!! Right down to the doorbell ringing and the bathtub. Although my boy jumps out of the tub and peeks over the rail to see the front door!


Hope you didn't put your back out or anything (I've been known to throw my back out just by picking something up off the floor).

5elementknitr said...

I'm dyin' laughing picturing you trying to wrangle the slippery fish!

Olga said...

Yeah, me too. been there. Done that. Way too many times that I care to remember!!!! Hey girly- I need your email so I can send replys to your comments! I don't want you think I've blown you off when I don't send a reply- but no worries if you'd rather not, I'll try to answer you here. Mine is knitfrauATsioDOTmidcoDOTnet.I'm trying to be a better blogger by answering!!! It may only last a week but, oh well.

Princess, Auntie, and Mummy said...

I totally understand you. These guys are realy tough. Considering how tough parenting is, I can not imagine how humans could grow the population as they did and survived!!! well, at least after the contraceptive methods have been discovered!!! hahahaha

Unknown said...

Oh no!!! That is kind of funny to picture though! Hopefully she is better and all is right with the world.

Blogger.jinbo said...

I wish you all the summer rain
08 particularly large, light rain two or three to end, almost did not feel the heat of the past summer, after the rain refreshing breeze blowing out of the park for a walk at night breathing the air a bit too good unfortunately I rarely go.
Recently,cheap womens nike shoes, my colleagues have a lot left for various reasons, some say hello in advance, and some did not care he kept greeting to play in a hurry to leave,cheap ralph lauren polo shirts, and some tired here of right and wrong,wedding dresses 2010, and some had to leave for personal reasons, and some leave for their own future development, and in fact we spent more time not shorter work together pretty good, in fact, just like one big family here, or microcosm of a society of discipline,spyder jackets, there is joy, there are quarrels,flat iron shop, there is an exchange of exclusion. Working here is like a train on the road trip did not end there will always be off the course, there's anyway I wish you all a lift and have a better future.