Monday, April 7, 2008

I is for Initiation

Well, ladies...I was officially initiated into the knitting world on Friday. Not only did I have FRONT row seats to hear the almighty Stephanie Pearl McPhee... Check it out...there were more than 200 hundred people who came to hear her.
I have to be honest and say that my first thought was, "Wow...she has a really deep voice!" I can add that I found some comfort in that because I have a deep voice. I laughed so hard. I like what she had to say, but wished it had been less scripted. She is so funny, it would have been fun to just listen to her go. This is me with the Queen Bee herself...

Everyone was fantastic! I kept cracking up at all the ooooohhhh and aaahhhh uttered while petting all the various projects, "May I touch it? ...ooohhhhh that is sooooooooo NICE!" Ruth and I arrived at 3:00 for the 7:30 signing and were number 6 and 7 in line. The place filled up really quickly and I was grateful that Ruth thought to bring chairs!

Afterwards a group of us went to dinner, then another group joined us. The night was loud and rowdy and full of mutual admiration and respect. I was honored to spend my afternoon and evening surrounded by so many wonderful women.


...I also learned to knit in the round with double points...and there are cables in this!

Holy Schnikies is right! I'm lucky I still have both eyes (but the project is still young). The first few rows were so awful, I almost cried. I kept thinking, "how can anyone think this is fun?" It was just awful. But I'm sticking with it. I owe it to myself to give it an earnest attempt and I can honestly say that it is getting easier. I knit continental style (with the yarn in my left hand), so that purl stitch is a booger for me. I haven't figure out a way that works for me yet, but I'm getting closer.

And how about all these pictures? I can hardly believe it's me!

5 comments:

Olga said...

JINKIES! You had a moment with the queen! lucky dawg.

Sam said...

Hi, really nice to meet you that evening. It was a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Right on!! Glad you had fun!

My group saw her last year, and you're right, her voice is low :-) As Canadians and as knitters, she really really really made us laugh.

Way to go on the double points (I love 'em). I have no advice on the purling, I knit all English wonky-style (is so a word).

Anonymous said...

You got to see Yarn harlot!!! Lucky, lucky you. To much fun. Good luck with the double pointed needles, I think they can be dangerous.

5elementknitr said...

Excellent evening!

Your hat is SO much further along then mine. sigh.

The Harlot's voice reminds me of Janis Joplin's. I find it oddly soothing.