Wednesday, March 26, 2008

E is for an Exultant Evening

Last night was school night at Red Robin Burgers and we were told that 10% of the proceeds would be donated to my daughter’s school. My family doesn’t eat out very often, and when we do, it’s lunch on Saturday. We almost never eat out during the week…but we did last night and we had SO much fun! The restaurant was packed with students and faculty (we got there at 6:30 and had a 45 minute wait).Every time we turned around, we saw someone we knew. We were all laughing and waving and “Hey there! I’m so happy to see you…isn’t this a great turnout!” People stopped by our table to say hello or to tell a joke or comment on the status of their bracket. The staff did an outstanding job keeping every one watered and feed. I made a special point to tell the manager on my way out how impressed I was that his staff pulled it off. It was SO COOL!

I love where I live. I am privileged to be part of such an outstanding community. Get this…about a year ago I my daughter and I had stopped on our way from somewhere to visit a friend who lives about 1/4 of a mile from my home. When it was time to leave, my daughter wanted to run home, but I couldn’t run with her because I had my car. So I drove real slow while she jogged on the side walk. A couple driving by thought it was a strange sight, so they TURNED around and asked me if everything was okay. I smiled and said yes, so they asked my daughter, “Are you okay? Is she bothering you?” They thought I was a bad guy trying to pick up her up and that she was running away from me. And they made it their business to confirm that all was okay.

We have the best neighbors and spend many an evening visiting with one or more. We watch each other’s children and borrow milk and eggs and recipes and dishwasher detergent. We shovel each other’s driveways and sidewalks and borrow air compressors and chain saws. When someone’s wash machine breaks mid cycle, we haul the laundry next door.

…and when the school does a fund raiser, I am reminded of just how great my community is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell me more about your Neighborhood watch program. I'm just getting started and would love to hear how other groups are doing it and what is working for them. Thanks for the comment.
Cool how your drove along side your daughter while she was running. Your a good mom.

sophanne said...

Our school recently had a fundraiser hosted by Barnes and Noble. I think these are win-wins. I had the same experience in the feeling of community.

Olga said...

gee, I'm sooo envious. We DONOT have that feeling here where I live. I think If I lived in a neighborhood of bloggers, things would be very diffrent.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Olga. Well, I am and am not. My neighbours are lovely, but they are all super busy, or retired, and they keep to themselves. Say hello, wave, but not really connected. We keep the channels open though.