Thursday, March 13, 2008

A is for Anne of Green Gables

I just started reading Anne of Green Gables. I was in the kiddie section of the library with my daughter on Sunday and the book was displayed on top of a shelf with a piece of paper sticking out of it that said something like, “Emily thinks this book rocks!”

I have not read the book, but I watched the series on PBS with my mom when I was in high school. I don’t remember anything about the story. What I do remember is that my mom and I had about 6 hours invested into this series that my dad recorded for us. It was the last episode and my mom and I stayed up late to watch the end. We were both on the edge of our seats, sobbing like babies when the tape ended. Ants…snow…static…call it what you will, all I know is that I never saw the end of the movie. Mom and I just sat there, stunned. We looked at each other with this shocked, what-the-hell-just-happened, stare. We looked back at the TV…then at each other…TV…each other. That’s the only time I ever proposed to my mother that we attack my father.

I love to read. When I was a child, we lived about 1/2 mile from the public library. In the summer, we’d go to the library (because it was so well air conditioned) and read for hours. I would bring home stacks of paperbacks and would often stay up until 2 or 3 AM to finish a book. I could read 5 to 6 books a week. I can’t do that anymore. Most obviously because I don’t have the time, but also because I need time to digest what I just read. I need to explore what those words meant to me and how I’m going to allow them to fit into my life.

I most recently finished two books by Gregory Maguire: Confessions of an Ugly Step-sister and Wicked. Both books blew—my—mind. So much so, that I can’t even get into it now. I don’t even know where to start.

You read any good books lately?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The Red Tent, Atonement, and The Memory Keeper's Daughter were all great. I'm just getting into The Time Traveler's Wife. Not bad I just haven't had the time to really get into it.

Anonymous said...

Finally read The Life of Pi. Not brilliantly written, but the ending stayed with me for sure! Worth the read just for the ending alone.
The Lizard Cage (Karen Connelly) - good story.

I grew up on Anne (Canadian girl that I am). Our CBC (national TV station) had a series that most women my age remember well. Then there was Anne of Avonlea, etc etc. Read them all as well.