Thursday, March 27, 2008

F is for Fruit of my labor!

My labor and my daughter's. I mentioned in my Monday post that my daughter and I got books from the library on painting rocks and making friendship bracelets. We made the bracelets Saturday night. My daughter is 6 and impatient, so it was looking like the bracelet thing wasn't going to work. Then we found the instructions for the twister bracelets. You cut 24-inch lengths, knot one end, then twist like crazy. Once you've twisted the entire length, you fold the length in half and let it twist itself in half. She LOVED it. It was so easy and the results look fancy. After the first one, she decided she wanted to make one for everyone in her class...and all her cousins...and everyone in the neighborhood...and maybe she could sell them at a garage sale.

We spent some time on Sunday painting rocks. We have a landscape supply company in town that sells rocks by the pound. They weigh your car/truck on the way in, you fill it up, then weigh again. They have these great river rocks that are just perfect and they cost like $0.10 a pound or something. We usually get a couple dozen rocks for between $3 and $5. Anyway, I have painted rocks all around my yard. Most are just painted one solid color and we have a few rainbows, smiley faces, and polka-dots. This book we found at the library (Painting on Rocks for Kids) has step-by-step instructions on painting cars, bugs, dinosaurs, lizards, fish, etc. It was great!


Pretty cool, huh?

3 comments:

5elementknitr said...

So cute! Lovin' those rocks.

Anonymous said...

Super cool I love both projects and although I don't have any girls I can use these ideas for another project I'm involved in.

sophanne said...

Those are great and you are so going to win Ruth's alphabet contest- I'm cheering you on!